Thursday, September 6, 2012

Catching Fireflies and Edmund Dulac

My friend Emily found this picture on pinterest that she really liked and would love to have for her daughter. She, of course, asked me to recreate it. I will definitely change it, make it my own, and hopefully design it even better.


I've been looking at a lot of Edmund Dulac for inspiration, which also led me to Arthur Rockham and Warwick Goble. They have such dreamy illustrations, perfect for a little girl. I love the color tones and simpleness of lines in their illustrations. They've taken simple lines and built on them with depth and color. They are really beautiful. All of the below are Dulac illustrations:

 



Here is my first sketch of the little girl. I want to put some detail in it, but I think I will simplify this sketch a little more and add more detail when I get to the color. I don't want to lose the simplicity of the original picture and would like it to be similar to a Dulac. This is not even close to what I want it to look like, but it's a start..


No comments:

Post a Comment