Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Heart Series: Image I







































This is the first of the anatomical heart series. Anatomical hearts... a symbol of the spiritual and emotional core of a human being, connecting past and future, connecting all human beings. Rather than the symbolical heart, I prefer the anatomical heart because it is tangible. The balance between an organ and a symbol is fascinating.

This is my tattoo. The existing art covers up the original tattoo I got when I was 18. This one has an anatomical heart inside a bird's nest. The bird's nest lies within my skin and is revealed by the 'pulling back' of skin. A mechanical bird watches over it.

Birds are another symbol that are frequently used to describe the soul and its' freedom. Creating a mechanical bird that relies on being wound up, is the bird really free?

And homes, or nests in this scenario. Well... home is where the heart is, is it not?

No comments:

Post a Comment